Most downtown Florida attractions have been fully operational after COVID for more than a year. Theme parks are open and everything is back to normal, or almost. This is great if you agree to take a fair risk during your vacation.
But for some people, the continued high level of COVID transmission in central Florida is a red flag. They may want themed entertainment, but they are not prepared to take the risk of flying from their home on the north east coast or they are not prepared for a vacation in an area where the use of masks is only moderately adhered to, among others. concerns. And, of course, families with children of vaccination age may be especially concerned about traveling to a higher-risk area.
Now is the time to recognize that there is some risk of contracting COVID inherent in any human interaction, but the danger varies considerably depending on individual vaccination status, age, and general health considerations.
If you are someone who lives in the Northeastern United States and enjoys the themed entertainment of downtown Florida, but are unsure about traveling there right now, here are some alternatives to the New York area that can help you. help itch entertainment theme while you wait for transmission levels to slow down or your children to get vaccinated.
THE DISNEY FLAGSHIP FLAG
The vast majority of Disney independent stores have now closed or are scheduled to close in the coming months. For now, the flagship Disney Store in Times Square is still out of the cutting zone. Most of the store’s events and interactive features are currently on hiatus, but if you need a solution at Mickey Merch, the store is open to business. Don’t miss the only items on sale in New York, like Minnie Mouse, dressed in the Statue of Liberty.
HARRY POTTER NEW YORK
A large Harry Potter store opened in the Flatiron area of New York City in the spring of 2021. The store’s promotional information states, “The store will set a new standard for themed shopping experiences.” which combines stunning design, exciting interactive elements and unique products that invite fans to experience the world of magicians in a new way. With three floors and more than 21,000 square feet, the store will house the largest collection of Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts products under one roof. “
Adjacent theme park experiences available in the store include:
- Virtual Reality Experiences: Chaos at Hogwarts and Wizards Take Flight
- A beer bar with draft keg beer, bottled butter bones and butter beer ice cream
- An interactive wand shop
- Photographic opportunities
- Exclusive merchandise items, including Honeydukes sweets, stuffed creatures, and opportunities to engrave a diary or embroider a gown with your name
And, as with theme parks, getting into the store requires some planning. This popular destination requires you to join a virtual queue at 7:00 p.m.
Broadway is back! And not just on Broadway – a lot of stages have also returned off Broadway and other shows. For guests 12 years of age or older, full vaccination must be checked and most sites also check photo IDs. Guests under the age of 12 must provide proof of a recent negative COVID test (see your destination for details on the timing and types of approved tests). Masks MUST be worn to theaters. I’ve been to several shows since New York theaters have reopened and I’ve noticed excellent performance by the audience mask, as well as good application from theater staff in the few cases where the performance was lax.
The people in the theater had been out of work for a year and are not playing to keep their livelihoods operational.
Some options related to Disney and Universal include:
In addition to completely themed stage shows, many Disney-related actors perform in other stage shows or in cabaret-style performances. For example, I recently saw Sierra Boggess, the original Ariel of the Broadway Little Mermaid, performing at 54 below.
Pixar Putt is an emerging mini golf course located in Battery Park City, Manhattan, from now until the end of October. This whimsical putt whim has themed holes from the movies Toy Story, The Incredibles, Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc. and much more.
LEGOLAND NEW YORK
LEGOLAND New York, recently opened in the spring of 2021, is a complete LEGOLAND amusement park, similar to locations in central Florida and Southern California. There are seven themed areas, close to three dozen attractions and attractions, more than a dozen restaurants, shops and even a themed hotel. Located in Goshen, New York, LEGOLAND is about an hour and a half drive from the heart of Manhattan and much less if you head north.
DISNEY ON ICE
There are currently several Disney on Ice shows touring the United States, with many dates in the Northeast. COVID protocols vary by site.
The Metropolitan Museum of Art will host an exhibition from December 9, 2021 to March 6, 2022, called Inspiring Walt Disney: The Animation of French Decorative Arts. Feel cultured as you learn about references to European visual culture in Disney animated films, including directions to Gothic Revival architecture in Cinderella (1950), medieval influences in Sleeping Beauty (1959), and Rococo-inspired objects that gave life to Beauty and the Beast (1991).
The Museum of Modern Art includes several collections related to Disney movies.
The Museum of the Moving Image in Queens currently hosts an exhibition of articles related to the life of Jim Henson. The show includes 47 puppets, including Kermit, Miss Piggy, The Swedish Chef and more.
- They are not licensed, they are too aggressive and often dirty, but if you need to take a picture with a character in disguise, go to Times Square, where you can find pictures of Mickey, Minnie, Iron Man and many more characters who will be happy to put you with you, for a negotiable rate.
- Keep your eyes open as you walk through Central Park. Bethesda Fountain appeared in the Disney movie Enchanted. The statue of Alice in Wonderland is the favorite of children.
- If you participate in a Mets game at Citi Field, be sure to grab a delicious Dole Whip.
- Fifth Avenue Uniqlo flagship store sells many of the same Disney brand items sold at the Disney Springs store
- ComicCon NY takes place in early October at the Javits Center. There are always booths related to Disney editing and Disney games, as well as some Disney cosplay artists.
- Disney’s cruise line is scheduled to leave New York in the fall of 2022. Clearly a year is left, but now you can start by fantasizing about seeing the Statue of Liberty from the decks of the Magic.
Do you have other ways to fix your theme park in your area? Let us know in the comments.