Disney food has been evolving since Disney parks were opened.
Some classic restaurants have closed, others have appeared amazing and the menus are constantly changing. But only the most classic Disney World fans will remember the restaurant that hosted the dish we prepare below.
Empress Lilly Riverboat was docked on the edge of what we know as Disney Springs. It was named after Walt Disney’s wife, Lillian, who attended the dedication of the Riverboat May 1, 1977. Inside was a jazz lounge and three restaurants, one of which was the most amateur of all Disney World of the time.
On April 22, 1995, Empress Lilly Riverboat closed, and now you’ll find the Paddlefish restaurant in place (with Fulton’s Crab House there before Paddlefish). But when the Riverboat was open, one of the most iconic dishes was the Potatoes in the au gratin.
You will find the recipe for this dish at Delicious Disney: recipes and stories from the most magical place on Earth, the new cookbook coming out September 28, 2021, in honor of the 50th anniversary of Disney World.
But you don’t even have to wait until September 28th to make this classic dish, because Disney has just released the recipe. It’s surprisingly easy to make these really tasty potatoes.
BUSINESS LILLY POTATOES FOR FREE
Serves 4 people
- 2 large baked potatoes
- 1 cup half and half
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- 1 tablespoon finely grated onion, optional
- 3 tablespoons grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 ° F. Bake potatoes for 50 to 60 minutes or until soft enough to pierce with a fork. Refrigerate in the fridge to cool, then peel and grate coarsely.
- Put half and half almost to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add salt, pepper, celery salt and onion. Stir in the grated potatoes.
- Reduce the oven heat to 350 ° F. Place the potatoes in a 1 quart quart oven. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden and boiling.
Or, you can print the Disney recipe by clicking on the image below.
If you’re hoping to try some Disney Gratin potatoes in the world, we’re afraid you can’t go to Empress Lilly’s Riverboat now (since it’s been closed for about 25 years), but you can get something similar to the delicious one at the New York Strip Steak at Le Cellier in Canada EPCOT World Stage Pavilion.
Happy cooking! Follow DFB for more Disney news and food recipes.
Click here to see TONS of Disney World recipes you can make at home
Are you planning to make Empress Lilly Au Gratin potatoes? Let us know in the comments.