Today is an incredibly special day for Walt Disney World Resort – it’s been a magical 50 years since dreams came true. By reflecting together on this historic moment, there is no better way to commemorate this occasion than by returning to the community we have called home all this time.
Our Central Florida family has played such an important role for us since Walt Disney World Resort opened in 1971. It’s where the cast members live, go to school, raise their families, and thrive. For decades, we have remained inspired by the nonprofits and magic makers in our community that make a difference for so many people: Returning to these organizations is a proud tradition that we are committed to continuing in the future.
In celebration of our 50th anniversaryth anniversary, I am deeply humbled to share that Disney is awarding a total of $ 3 million to six amazing nonprofit organizations in central Florida that help support important causes and inspire a world of differences for children and families of our community.
We are proud to partner with Give Kids The World Village, Central Florida Boys & Girls Clubs, Central Florida Second Harvest Food Bank, Heart of Florida United Way, Hope Partnership and ELEVATE Orlando as we work together to find solutions in important issues around the world. our region and empower all individuals to create a brighter morning.
Here’s a little more about each of the organizations receiving grants today and their important work in the Central Florida community:
Give Kids The World Village
- As an established partner for this organization since 1986, Give Kids The World Village is an integral part of our Grant Grant efforts at Walt Disney World Resort. During a transformative week at Give Kids The World Village, Wish families can laugh, play, and create priceless memories together, outside of hospital visits and medical procedures, helping children build the physical and emotional strength needed to fight a critical illness. Disney VoluntEARS is a key pillar of Give Kids The World Village, which coordinates meals, serves ice cream and helps families staying at the resort.
Central Florida Boys and Girls Clubs
- As a key partner in supporting youth development, Central Florida boys and girls clubs empower children with the confidence they need to stay out of trouble, make good decisions, and chart a course toward healthy living. and productive through extracurricular activities, including events and programs with our Disney VoluntEARS.
Second Central Florida Harvest Food Bank
- Driven to close the gap in unmet needs in central Florida, Central Florida’s Second Harvest Food Bank helps create hope and nurture lives through a powerful hunger relief network. The Disney Harvest program supports the great work of Second Harvest in the service of more than 40 nonprofits in the Orlando area, and for years Disney VoluntEARS has helped classify and package food that is distributed throughout the Orlando area. region, and can even be seen throughout the mural of the iconic Disney Characters wall in the Second Harvest store.
Florida United Way color
- As a longtime partner of Walt Disney World Resort, Heart of Florida United Way improves the lives of individuals and families, building strong communities by bringing people and organizations together to create measurable results and lasting impact.
Hope for collaboration
- The Hope Partnership, which supports homeless and poverty-stricken families in Osceola County, provides a path to employment, health and housing through the Hope Works program, which connects individuals with organizations such as Disney VoluntEARS for competency-based support.
- ELEVATE Orlando works to build life-changing relationships with urban youth, offering students opportunities such as job shading, personal presentations and in-class speaker series, which has been a popularly popular Disney VoluntEARS event for employees of The Walt Disney Company.