Netflix regularly loses licensed content from third party providers but did you know that it also lost a bunch of Netflix Original branded content? Here is the current list of Netflix original movies and series that have gone so far as Netflix.
To get to the bottom of why Netflix’s original headlines go down, these usually fall into a few categories.
- The majority left because they did not own Netflix. Instead, they are distributed internationally by Netflix for a fixed period of time.
- Second, it can be a temporary or permanent licensing issue. For example, Bug hit Slasher has been removed for a short time due to licensing issues where the owner of the series has gone bankrupt.
- Third, some titles that are time-specific. This includes, for example, the New Year’s countdown.
- Finally, you may find that Netflix Originals has been removed from some territories due to legislation or removal requests. We will cover these in the end.
Netflix Originals has been removed from Netflix due to licensing
Now let’s bring you to the list of removed Netflix originals (we may have missed something but we will update it over time).
- Nick Offman: American Ham – Removed December 2017
- THe killed (asons tu 1-4) – Moved to August 2018 – Despite reviving the series, Fox has decided to keep the first three seasons of the show in Hulu.
- River (ason tu 1) – Moved to October 2019 – The only international distributor of the BBC series.
- Stockholm (Season 1) – Moved November 2019 – Argentina series that Netflix has carried internationally.
- Happy Valley (1-2 to 1-2) – Moved to March 2020 – Another BBC series Netflix has only been distributed internationally for a limited time.
- Chewing gum (asons you 1-2) – Moved to April 2020 – Netflix only acted as international distributor and lost rights after a certain period of time.
- Slasher (1-3 to 1-3) – Removed April 2020 – Removed due to media group bankruptcy. Came back in the end, but the future season is heading towards Shudder.
- Case (Season 1) – Moved May 2020 – Chilean series carried by Netflix internationally.
- Cannabis – French TV series – June 2020 Moved
- Hotel Beau Sejor – Removed June 2020
- NSU German History X (limited series) – Removed July 2020
- Russell Peters: Notorious – Moved to October 2020
- Russell Peters vs. The World – Moved to October 2020
- Nobel – Norwegian – Removed November 2020
- You have four asons in Havana – Removed December 2020
- Merlin – Catalan – Moved to December 2020
- Pacific Heat (Season 1) – Removed December 2020
- Blockbuster – French – January 2021 moved
- Knights of Sidonia – Japanese – Moved January 2021 – Moved more than once in the past.
- Fourth Company (2016) – Moved to April 2021
- Little gold – Moved May 2021
- Lego Friends: The Power of Friendship (2016) – Moved June 2021
- Lego: Friends: Happy birthday to you! (2017) – Moved June 2021
- Chadwick Bosman: A portrait of an artist – Moved to June 2021 after debut in April 2021
- Cook over high – Moved June 2021
- Heavy rescue: 401 – Moved June 2021
- Magi: Sinbad’s Adventure – Moved July 2021
- The Last Hangover – Moved September 2021
- The first temptation of Christ – Moved September 2021
- The Frozen Dead – Moved to October 2021
- Chelsea Peretti: One of the greats – September 2021
We’ve been told that this list will grow rapidly over time because Netflix doesn’t necessarily have distribution rights for many of its libraries.
Netflix Originals has been removed due to official removal
The most famous example of an order to remove Netflix content is the Patriot Act with Hassan Minhaj. An episode critical of the country’s governance was ordered to be withdrawn in January 2011.
The following headlines have been removed from Netflix Singapore and a few other regions.
- The Last Hangover
- The temptation of Christ
- Cook over high
This is the current list. We will continue to expand over time as other Netflix originals leave the service.