As a muggle who often visits Universal Orlando, I am privileged to enjoy the wonders, sounds, and attractions that are there at a casual pace. A large portion of Universal Orlando guests will only visit one day during their vacation in the Orlando area. Depending on the price of one-day tickets to any of the theme parks in the Orlando area, this can be expensive. This makes visitors who come for a day have to make difficult decisions about things to do and things to skip.
For many guests to be fans of the Magic World, they have to decide between dinner at Three Broomsticks in the Hogsmeade area or The Leaky Cauldron on Diagon Alley. Now this decision can be made for you as you can only have one day ticket without access from one park to another.
If you have access to tickets from one park to another, you may think you will have breakfast at one and then have late lunch at the other Wizarding World restaurant. This plan might work if you have access from one park to another. However, on the busiest days, most breakfast places are taken by people with holiday packages. This means that there is a possibility that if you do not pay for a vacation package, you may not be able to have breakfast at the restaurant of your choice.
Based on that, if you can only count on going to one of the Wizarding World restaurants, how do you choose? As with all theme park decisions, this comes down to what your group wants. Both Leaky Cauldron and Three Broomsticks will be busy. Both are very popular and have above average theme park food that doesn’t fit burgers and pizza. They also have an excellent theme within the restaurant. Fans of fish and chips will be delighted that this is on both menus.
Now, none of these “British” themed restaurants will make our friends in the UK consider this authentic British cuisine. That said, Leaky Cauldron has a more British style meal (includes breakfast). Three Broomsticks has very little to define it as British cuisine.
Three Broomsticks has menu items such as shepherd’s pie, veal cakes, roasted smoked chicken, ribs dish, combined chicken / ribs dish, smoked turkey thigh and roasted chicken salad. Leaky Cauldron includes dishes and puree, toad in the hole, Guinness beef and lamb stew, cottage and fisherman’s pie, and Scottish eggs. If you want a more authentic version of the British theme park fare, then Leaky Cauldron should be your choice. If you want non-traditional and less themed theme park food, then Three Broomsticks may be your best option.
What if you still can’t decide? Leaky Cauldron includes the Farmer’s Dish, which is a kind of British version of a charcuterie table. It is designed to serve two people with English cheese, crispy bread, green field salad, roasted tomatoes, pickle pickle, apple beet salad, Branston pickle and scrambled eggs. If you have a larger group, then Three Broomsticks has a party for you. They call it The Great Feast. This main course designed for four consists of generous amounts of garden salad, smoked chicken in the rotisserie, spare ribs, corn on the cob and roasted potatoes. This entree currently costs $ 70 for four with an additional fee for more people. Depending on the size of your party, these starters can make your decision.
If the above details have not made the decision for you, let me list some of the remaining pros and cons of each site.
Positive aspects of Three brooms:
- The outdoor patio can be very nice on a nice day in Orlando. The noise level will normally be lower in this area. The only exception is the sound of Jurassic World’s VelociCoaster accelerating from time to time.
- Hog’s Head Pub is literally next to Three Broomsticks and shares seating. This themed pub is a great place to relax and have all kinds of drinks.
Negatives of Three Brooms
- It tends to be very strong, at least on the inside.
- Most people complain about the lowering of the seats on the floor here. Some have compared him to feeling like a small child barely able to see on the table. This may be an exaggeration, but you can see how low the chairs are in relation to the floor.
- You may feel very congested.
Positive aspects of Leaky Cauldron
- If you’re looking for a light meal, you can order just one side of Scottish eggs here. This can be a great and cost effective way to enjoy the theme of the restaurant without hurting your budget and waist too much.
- The restaurant and nearby area are less congested compared to Hogsmeade and Three Broomsticks.
- Florean Fortescue Ice Cream Parlor is a short walk from Leaky Cauldron. This place has arguably the best theme park ice cream in the Orlando area.
- Wizarding World veterans tend to prefer breakfast here (remember there’s a small chance it’s not an option).
Leaky Cauldron negatives
- As mentioned, this place may not be a good fit for demanding meals, with the exception of the muggle-approved chicken sandwich.
- More family-style seats that can be nasty during dining hours.
From the perspective of this muggle, either is a good choice. My spouse Hufflepuff says he preferred Leaky Cauldron, so guess which one I will choose! You will need to consider your group’s preferences. Remember that neither of these two options is a bad choice.
Do you have a preference for any of these Wizarding World restaurants? Let us know in the comments.