Lovers of Disney history might remember that Van Camp Seafood Company got on board to sponsor a restaurant near the back of Fantasyland called Pirate ship and restaurant Chicken of the Sea (which was later renamed Captain Hook’s jail in 1969) when the park was inaugurated.
For decades, this is where Disneyland guests went to enjoy what was then a familiar but beloved food: the tuna burger! I, while you no longer find him in the park, you tin still do it at home!
The area where the restaurant used to be is now home to Dumbo the Flying Elephant, but today we go back to 1982 and bring you the COMPLETE recipe for making your own Disneyland tuna burger from Captain Hook’s Galley!
- 9 ounces canned tuna (one standard can)
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- Slices of sweet pickle, to taste
- 4 burger buns, without slices
- First, preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (190 degrees Celsius).
- Then combine the four more main ingredients half mayonnaise (2 tablespoons) in a medium bowl.
- In a separate small bowl, combine all the tomato sauce (4 tablespoons) with the rest of the mayonnaise (2 tablespoons).
- Now, this is where things get interesting! The Disneyland Tuna Burger was a three-story affair. So slice each burger bun three pieces, cutting them parallel to the work surface.
- Cover each back bottom of the bread with a spread of ketchup and mayonnaise, as well as as many slices of sweet pickle as you like.
- Place the middle bread slice on top of the lower slice and cover with the tuna mixture from the larger bowl.
- Cover them with the top slice of bread.
- Finally, wrap each three-tiered burger with foil and bake the sandwiches at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.
You can find the printable version of this recipe here. And, be sure to take a look at ours Recipes page for more Disney food and drinks you can make at home!
Want to bring the flavors of Disney home? Click here to see some of our favorite Disney recipes!
What’s your favorite Disney recipe to make at home? Let us know in the comments
Join the AllEars.net newsletter to stay up to date on ALL Disney news! You will also have access to tips, reviews, curiosities and MORE from AllEars! Click here to subscribe!