You’ve seen it in theaters, you’ve been to Disney +, and now the audience can finally get a copy of the recent Marvel Studios release. Shang-Chi and the legend of the ten rings, which debuted on all major digital platforms on November 12th and will be released in 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray and DVD starting November 30th.
Outside of the satisfaction of having a physical copy of a movie, the home versions of Shang-Chi brings with them lots of extra features and audio commentary that aren’t currently available on Disney +.
[For review purposes, I was sent a Movies Anywhere Digital Code with no restrictions on expressed thoughts or opinions.]
Marvel Studios Shang-Chi and The Legend of the Ten Rings Bonus features *
Gag coil – As you can imagine, with comic book talents like Simu Liu and Awkwafina, there were fun moments of lightness during filming. Although it was as nice as all the blooper reels, I would have liked to see more, as at 2:10 minutes, it feels short.
For the most part, these scenes (mostly 1-2 minutes long) give the secondary characters a little more screen time. Shang-Chi, especially Katy, Razor Fist and Trevor. While it’s nice to see how these characters expand a little more, it’s also easy to see how they cut themselves in favor of focusing on Shang-Chi. Highlights were “Escape Tunnel” and any with Xu Wenwu, as any extra time with Ben Kingsley and Tony Leung is time well spent.
- They are waiting – Shang-Chi and Katy connect with Xialing through a call.
- Take a shot – Katy has a moment of resolution during a battle.
- Sorry – Years after his sudden absence, Shang-Chi tries to apologize to Xialing.
- I am here – Shang-Chi and Katy have a conversation in the alley. Katy assures Shang-Chi that it will always be her support system.
- Talk Pep – To change course, Razor Fist encourages Katy during the middle of a battle.
- Greatness – Trevor and Katy get together for passion in their getaway car.
- Escape tunnel – The gang escapes through Trevor’s escape tunnel to secure an escape vehicle.
- Two sons – Xu Wenwu compares Shang-Chi and Razor Fist during a tense dinner.
- Postal – Shang-Chi and Xu Wenwu reunite as father and son. Shang-Chi makes it clear that he does not agree with Xu Wenwu’s philosophy.
- Only friends – Katy and Xialing know each other. Xialing asks Katy some personal questions.
- Do it yourself – Xu Wenwu returns to his empire after the Iron Gang leader is captured.
Building a legacy – This article is an overview of the making of the film with a little emphasis on what it means to create the first MCU movie with an Asian superhero. It’s a good look at some of the more complex details that went into the sets and costumes, but like the gag roller, it feels short, with a run time of about 9 minutes.
Family ties –A 7:28 minute review of the complicated parent-child dynamic between Shang-Chi and Xu Wenwu with cast interviews. I liked the discussion about how Shang-Chi’s character growth is affected by her father’s rejection / acceptance, although I found it strange that they called her “Family Ties” when they didn’t mention her relationship. with her sister separated.
Audio commentary – Destin director Daniel Cretton and screenwriter Dave Callaham make a lengthy commentary on the film about his memories of writing and shooting the film. If you like to know the details behind the scenes and the most important battles to create a coherent script, audio comments are usually interesting and this is no exception. From Easter eggs to having a character Black widow fight a character of Iron Man 3 in one of the cages of the Xialing Wrestling Club, in the explanations of how they made this Shang-Chi story fit with the already established canon of both the comics and the MCU, there is new information to be obtained about the film. Film for each viewer.
* Bonus features vary by product and retailer
Marvel Studios Shang-Chi and The Legend of the Ten Rings Product specifications
Date of publication:
- Digital: November 12
- Physics: November 30
- Digital: 4K UHD, HD, SD
- Physics: Combined 4K Ultra HD package (4K UHD + Blu-ray + digital code), combined Blu-ray package (Blu-ray + digital code) and DVD
Function Runtime: Approx. 132 minutes
Evaluation: Classification in the US PG-13, additional unclassified material
- Digital: 2.39
- Physics: 2.39: 1
- 4K Ultra HD: English 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos, English DVS 2.0 Dolby Digital, Spanish 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus, French 5.1 Dolby Digital language tracks
- Blu-ray: English 7.1 DTS-HDMA, English DVS 2.0 Dolby Digital, Spanish and French 5.1 Dolby Digital language tracks
- DVD: English, Spanish and French 5.1 Dolby Digital, English 2.0 Descriptive audio language tracks
- Digital: English Dolby Atmos (UHD only, some platforms), English 5.1 and 2.0 Dolby Digital, Spanish 5.1 and 2.0 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 and 2.0 Dolby Digital, Descriptive audio English 2.0 Dolby Digital (some platforms)
- 4K Ultra HD: English SDH, Spanish, French
- Blu-ray: English SDH, Spanish, French
- DVD: English SDH, Spanish, French
- Digital: SDH English, French, Spanish (some platforms).
- In case you missed it, here is the new homemade video release trailer for Shang-Chi and the legend of the ten rings:
Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Send us a line below.
Be sure to follow @allearsnet on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!
Check out our YouTube channel for reviews, news, information, and more!
Click below to subscribe to the AllEars® newsletter and don’t miss any of the latest Disney news!