Happy New Year! As we begin 2022, we are grateful to the cast and community partners for helping us make a difference last year, with financial and food donations, book gifts and toys for children in need, Disney events VoluntEARS and more.
Magic comes in all sizes, from simple acts of kindness to great gestures of generosity. Today, I’m proud to share some of our favorite magical gift moments of the year.
From our kitchens to our communities
In 2021, Disney teams around the world looked for ways to address food insecurity in their communities. In fact, we have achieved the goal of giving more than $ 14.6 million in food to hunger relief organizations around the world since March 2020, the equivalent of more than 2.1 million meals! Here are some of our favorite food donation stories of the year:
- Walt Disney World Resort donated $ 500,000 to the Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida, which was among the $ 3 million the resort awarded in honor of its 50th birthday to important causes in the community.
- Disneyland Resort provided more than 90,000 meals to the Orange County community in 2021.
- On a sweet note, last March, Disney Signature Experiences donated more than 350,000 pieces of Ghirardelli chocolate to Eastern Florida State College, Health First Foundation and Brevard Sharing Center.
- Disneyland Paris has donated nearly 400 tons of food throughout the year – from fresh fruits and vegetables to baked sweets and candies and personal pizzas.
- Hong Kong Disneyland joined the Foodlink Foundation to launch Disney Meal Box Express. Since June 2021, the program has provided about 12,000 boxes of healthy, freshly cooked food to those most affected by the pandemic in four districts of Hong Kong. Donations are prepared every Thursday by more than 200 Disney VoluntEARS and the Food & Beverage team.
Share stories, spread joy
We have also worked to delight fans and families with donations of books, toys and more.
Celebrating magic makers
While the past year and a half has been a challenge for many, people across the country have stepped up to help others in remarkable ways. We’ve worked to enlighten people whose good deeds trigger everyday magic, at Disney and beyond.
- We searched the country to find 50 amazing Disney magic makers and rewarded them with a trip to Walt Disney World Resort to celebrate its 50th anniversary.th anniversary and a one-year subscription to Disney +. These amazing Disney magic makers showed us that we all have the power to make a difference: the friendship of two women in Ohio sparked a vaccine revolution for older, at-risk members of their community; local heroes in Utah, Illinois, and California demonstrated that one person’s good deeds can affect an entire community; an elementary school principal inspired a fundraising campaign that raised enough for 5 students to receive full scholarships at their local HBCU; a high school student in Ohio and a college student in Rhode Island showed that you can raise awareness of the causes that matter to you at any age; and in celebration of the inaugural World Princess Week, we discovered women from all corners of the nation whose acts of service embody the temperament of a Disney hero.
- Members of the Aulani cast at A Disney Resort & Spa have kept the aloha spirit alive for the Oahu community, and we have recognized Nate Rhodes as the first member of the Magic Maker cast to help Boys and Girls Club Hale Pono Clubhouse at Ewa Beach, Hawaii. Nate brought together other members of the Aulani cast to volunteer and help the club provide the daily distribution of meals for the families of the club members, as well as programming and educational resources. When Nate realized that the club landscape needed maintenance, he helped donate lawn material and volunteered to mow and mow the lawn.
- Disneyland Paris cast members have also stepped in to meet the needs of the community, including Cyril and Olivier, who printed more than 500 face shields in 3D for medical staff at local hospitals and clinics and school teachers. of the community.
- Over the past two years, Shanghai Disney Resort has distributed thousands of park tickets to health workers and first responders, and has organized several special appreciation events to showcase their contributions during the pandemic, including special fireworks shows with ” thank you “projected in the enchanted storybook of the park. Castle in Chinese, English and other languages.
As we reflect on a year of return and celebrate the donation of more than $ 52 million in food, products and supplies from March 2020, we would like to share our sincere gratitude with all those who helped us make a difference in 2021. , and that brought hope and inspiration to their communities in small and large ways. To all the guests, community members and cast members who gave their time and talent to support others in 2021: congratulations!
We look forward to sharing more magic with our communities next year. From all of us at Disney, happy holidays!